Holy Hunger Games (Book #7)

WHY!!!  Why did I wait so long to read this?!?  Suzanne Collins's The Hunger Games, the first in the trilogy, is absolutely brilliant and impossible to put down!  The young adult novel is set in a post-apocalyptic America in which there is one government (very Communistic) ruling over 12 scattered districts.  It centers around Katniss Everdeen, a sixteen-year old girl from District 12 who volunteers to take Prim, her 12-year old sister's, place in the annual Hunger Games.  In the games, two tributes, one boy and one girl, are selected randomly from each district.  These 24 tributes are then required to fight to the death in an undisclosed location in order to return home.  This is done for several reasons:  to ensure complete control of the government and as a reminder to the districts of the power that the goverment holds over them.

The acts that these children, ages 12 to 18, are required to withstand in the Games are absolutely atrocious.  The fact that the ruling community broadcasts the entire fight live across the country further lends to the absolute barbarism that Collins describes.  Her new-age approach to the eyes and clout of Big Brother forces the reader to question their views on authority and how far they would go to survive.  Honestly, I don't know if I could be as brave as Katniss is, or as cunning.  She's absolutely brilliant.  You really feel for the characters in the book and HATE those in charge.  In fact, you even hate some of the tributes.

I can't go into much more detail because it would give everything away and I really think that people should read this themselves.  It's a very quick read and well worth it.  I loved it so much that, as soon as I finished, I jumped in my car, drove to Borders and bought the second and third in the series...in hardback.  That's saying something!  Also, as the film version comes out sometime next year, everyone should be prepared.  I'm interested in seeing how they approach this and my mind is still unsure about the casting...

Comments

  1. Melu - We just finished reading it. And I must say I agree with you. :) I really enjoyed it and we are already into the second book. Thanks for the recommendation.
    ~ Linds

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Get Wordy!

Popular posts from this blog

2016 A-Z Blogging Challenge Theme Reveal

L is for...Lighthouses

C is for...Crater Lake