B.O.B Challenge 3: Book Pairings
Bout of Books Challenge 3: Book PairingsBout of Books Reading Challenge and our mini challenge is hosted by Anmiryam @ My Overstuffed Bookshelves and it's all about association! This book made me think of this and so on. Should be interesting. Here are a few of mine:
*A Feast for Crows makes me think of how much I want to be reading right now!
- This one is pretty self-explanatory. This series is AWESOME!
*Watership Down makes me think of Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH.
- Both deal with relocation and animals.
*44 Scotland Street makes me think of closes and Edinburgh.
- The series is set in Edinburgh and I began reading it when I moved back to the States after completing my Masters in the city. I love being able to visualize exactly where the characters are throughout the books.
*Harry Potter makes me think of anticipation, late night reading, and undying love.
- Again, this one is self-explanatory.
*Twilight makes me think of Costa Coffee, Princes Street, birthday shopping, and Lyndsey.
- I picked the first book in the series up on a whim while waiting for my friend, Lyndsey, to meet me on Princes Street to go shopping for another friend's birthday. I arrived much earlier than her and had some time to kill, hence Costa Coffee Shop. I read that sucker so fast!
*Death in Venice makes me think of bad reenactments, seashell beaches, Lido, and good Italian pizza.
- While traveling in Venice with a group of friends, several of whom had been in the same German class in undergrad with me, we decided to reenact (badly) the death scene from the novella Death in Venice. We even filmed it and sent it to our German professor (we're still close to this day). The scene takes place on the island of Lido and the beaches are covered in broken seashells. It was horribly awful, but definitely memorable.
*Anna Karenina makes me think of Austrian hostels and ballet.
- I started reading this book when I moved to Vienna for a Fulbright Teaching Fellowship. I was living in a hostel by the Westbahnhof (didn't have a permanent apartment yet). Later that year the ballet was performed at the Vienna Operahouse and my roommate, Lindsey, and I bought our friend, Courtney, tickets for Christmas. It was amazing.
*The Book Thief makes me think of tiny Viennese apartments and recommendations.
- I read this book while living in Vienna in a studio apartment with Lindsey. We made it cozy. Since reading this book, it's the one I recommend the most. It's beautiful.
*North and South makes me think of Richard Armitage and YouTube.
- I saw the BBC version of this book on YouTube prior to reading it. It stars Richard Armitage as John Thornton...yum! I watched it on a laptop at a friend's apartment in Edinburgh (none of us had TVs because you have to pay a tax on them). I then read the book and fell in love.
*Wait Till Helen Comes makes me think of grade school and special reading nooks.
- I read this book as a 3rd or 4th grader. It became one of my favorites...still is actually. In our small school library we had a tower with a reading nook at the top filled with pillows. It was a privilege to get to read up there. I loved it!
I didn't want to just do book associations because I did that in my first mini challenge, so I went with something a little more personal for the most part. Most people will not understand any of the associations I came up with...
Regardless, happy reading, fellow Bout of Book participants!