Nonsense and Oddities
Every place has something unique about it. Something that's odd or complete and utter nonsense. Here are some of Oregon's random facts:
- The Oregon state flag is the only flag in the US that has two separate designs: the Oregon crest and a beaver on the reverse side.
- Oregon has more ghost towns than any other state: 59..
- Oregon is the only state that has an official state nut: the hazelnut or filbert.
- The state birthday is Valentine's Day :)
- The official state fish is the Chinook Salmon.
- Oregon has the largest collection of rosaries at the Columbia Gorge Interpretive Center.
- The Carousel Museum has the largest and most comprehensive collection of carousel horses.
- The state flower is the Oregon Grape (declared in 1899).
- Haystack Rock in Cannon Beach is the second largest monolith in the world, standing at 235 feet.
- Oregon has no sales, restaurant, or liquor tax.
- Forest Grove is home to the world's tallest barbershop pole.
- Oregon is home to the world's shortest river: the D River is 121 feet long.
- It is also home to the smallest harbor: Depoe Bay; and the world's smallest park: Mill's End Park (currently being challenged by Prince's Park in Bruntwood, England).
- Eugene was the first city to have one-way streets.
- Oregon residents own one-fourth of the nation's llama population.
- Oregon has one national park, thirteen national forests, and 231 state parks.
- The state beverage is milk.
- It is illegal to pump your own gas in Oregon.
- Drivers must always yield to pedestrians on the sidewalk.
And now...some weird laws:
- It is illegal to use canned corn as fish bait.
- Dishes must drip dry.
- Ice cream may not be eaten on Sundays.
- One may not bathe without wearing suitable clothing.
- Babies may not be carried on running boards of cars.
- A car door may not be left open longer than necessary.
- One may not test their physical endurance while driving a car on the highway.
Happy Tuesday, fellow A-Zers.