Beyond the Books: Favorite Foods and A Recipe

 
This week's topic is:  Favorite Foods and a Recipe to Share

Mmmm...food!  Let's be honest, this list could (literally) go on forever.  You could easily subcategorize several different foods, whether by ethnic traits, sweets, savory, spicy, and so on.  So, to keep things simple, I'm breaking it down like this:  Things I Like to Snack On and Main Dishes!

Things I Like to Snack On
  • Jalapeno Cheddar Cheetos
  • Blue Diamond Rice Crackers (in a variety of flavors)
  • Chili Cheese Fritos
  • Hummus
  • Dark Chocolate
  • String Cheese
  • Kit Kats
Main Dishes
  • Zucchini Bake
  • BBQ...pretty much anything
  • Fish Tacos (my uncle makes the BEST!)
  • Soups...I love a good soup
And A Recipe!
This has become my go-to dinner recipe when we have company.  It's so good, really easy to make, and a crowd-pleaser.  It may look like it takes awhile, but it really doesn't!

Creamy Chicken Enchiladas (mmmm)
1 lb Chicken Breast (cubed or shredded)
2 Cups Chicken Broth (roughly one 14 oz can)
1 Can Diced Green Chilies (4 oz can)
1 Pkg Tortillas (8-10 8-inches or so)
2 Cups Shredded Cheese (your choice...I use Monterey Jack and Jack...or whatever's handy)
1 Cup Sour Cream
1/4 Cup Butter
1/4 Cup Flour
Salt and Pepper to taste

Your choice on how to cook the chicken.  I have recently begun making it in the crockpot and shredding it instead of cubing it and cooking in a frying pan.  Done the crockpot way, I place a jar of salsa verde in (as the liquid base; 16 oz) and roughly chop an onion (not called for in the recipe, but I never really follow one exactly).  Cook on high 4-6 hours or low 6-8 hours.  Shred chicken :)

Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish and then start rolling your tortillas!  Inside the tortillas, place chicken and cheese (I also add sliced black olives because I love them), roll, and place seam down in baking dish.  Repeat until your dish is full.

For the sauce, melt the butter and then whisk in the flour to make a roux.  Add the chicken broth (I use the liquid from the chicken and salsa verde and then add chicken broth to make the 2 cups).  Whisk together and bring to a boil.  Remove from heat and add the sour cream and green chilies.  Pour over the pan of enchiladas and top with the remaining cheese.

Bake at 350 for 20 minutes (until bubbly and cheese is melted).  Let set for about 5 minutes to cool and whatnot, then enjoy that food!  So good :)

Feel free to use more cheese if you like and add whatever floats your boat.  I'm a fan of jalapenos, but haven't added them yet because others can't handle the spicy.  Sigh...

So, what are some of your favorite foods?

Beyond the Books is a weekly event hosted by Karen at Kissin Blue Karen.  Feel free to join in!  

Comments

  1. I used to love Kit Kats! It's been a while since I had one tho...BBQ yes and soup too, a good soup hits the spot especially this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kit Kats, hummus and string cheese are really good!! I had fish tacos for lunch today and they were yummy. I just need to find a good recipe to try.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Get Wordy!

Popular posts from this blog

L is for...Lighthouses

2016 A-Z Blogging Challenge Theme Reveal

C is for...Crater Lake