Top Ten Tuesday: Book That Were Difficult To Read

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish and it's a way to share what you're loving in list form. The topic changes every week, so there is always something new to discover!
This week's topic is:  Books That Were Difficult To Read.  There are always those few books that are pesky to get through for various reasons.  These are the ones I had trouble with:

The Silence of Mockingbirds: The Memoir of a Murder by Karen Spears Zacharias
  • Difficult to read because of the subject matter and my personal connection to those involved in the events discussed in the book.  Good overall...aside from the author's writing style and sense of attack toward certain people and woe-is-me attitude.  I also don't like how Spears changed the title recently in an effort to garner more sales...or something.
The Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown
  • A good read overall, but the Shakespearean lines interspersed throughout made the book clunky.  Also, I didn't really care for any of the characters that much; in fact, they were kind of deplorable for the most part.  I only liked one of the sisters...
Room by Emma Donoghue
  • Sad...horrific.  Good book.  Hard to read because it is told from the perspective of a five-year old boy who has had no formal education or exposure to the outside world.
Howard's End by EM Forster
  • Boring.  Just plain boring and I didn't like any of the characters...except for the house.  Haha.  Maybe I should give it another go since it's been about 10 years...
New Moon by Stephanie Meyer
  • Worst of the four books, not that any of them are great, and the editor should be fired...IMMEDIATELY!
The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway
  • Too choppy and "manly"...if that makes sense.  I don't get the appeal of Hemingway (and I've read a lot of his stuff).  From now on I'll stick to his short stories because those are great.
The History of Love by Nicole Krauss
  • This book has gotten so much praise and I just don't get it.  The story sounds awesome until you've read it.  Krauss was trying too hard to write like her husband, Jonathan Safran Foer (he's amazing), and she failed miserably.
Pure by Rebbecca Ray
  • One of the absolute WORST books I've ever read.  I rarely assign 1 star to a book, but this one garnered that rating.  I'd have given it a zero if it was possible.  Bad, bad, bad.
Push by Sapphire
  • Great book.  Seriously.  Hard to read because of the subject matter. 
A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks
  • Horribly pedantic and elementary.  Sparks is a terrible writer.  I've struggled through two of his books and refuse...REFUSE...to read anything else he writes.  I will, however, watch the movies based on his books because those are great :)
What books were difficult for you to get through?

Look for next week's installment:  Top Ten Books for Readers Who Like Character Driven Novels

Happy reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

L is for...Lighthouses

2016 A-Z Blogging Challenge Theme Reveal

C is for...Crater Lake