Cat's Eye...Oy Vey...

Margaret Atwood's Cat's Eye was...was...waaasssss...I don't even know how to describe it.  It just was. 

It took me a bit to get into this book and it took me even longer to finish it.  I can't put my finger on why I didn't enjoy it.  It's not like the book was absolutely terrible (believe me, I've read worse), but for some reason it just didn't grasp my attention or keep my attention.

The novel centers around Elaine, an artist...though she prefers to be called a painter because the term "artist" conjurs up pretension, according to her.  She's come back to Toronto, her hometown, for a gallery show and, while there, she spends her time wandering around the much changed city.  The reader is taken back to her childhood through interspersed chapters and it is these sections that hold the most appeal.  Through these episodes you really get to know what drives Elaine and why she left Toronto in the first place.  Also, Elaine focuses a lot of her reminiscing on Cordelia, a childhood friend, whom she wants to meet up with during her time in Toronto. 

Cordelia is an ever present entity throughout the book.  She pops up all throughout and the reader thinks there might be something brewing towards the end.  Unfortunately that never pans out.  You're kind of left wondering about Cordelia and everything else.  Like what the Cat's Eye really has to do with anything besides being a beloved marble.  It was frustrating and unfulfilling. 



On a more happy note...this weekend proves to be epic!  I'm heading out of town ...well, out of state and across the country really...to attend a wonderful friend's Southern wedding!!!  Congrats to the happy couple and I can't wait to see you both!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2016 A-Z Blogging Challenge Theme Reveal

L is for...Lighthouses

C is for...Crater Lake