Hermione Granger (obviously!) from Harry Potter Series
- This should be a no-brainer! Hermione's love for knowledge and research is unbounded and she proves that girls don't need to dumb themselves down to be accepted. Bravo!
- He's brainy, bookish, and hilarious! Tyrion's snarky attitude and want of knowledge only reinforces the fact that he is (and likes to be) well-prepared in a battle of wits...if not a battle of strength.
- Well, she is the book thief, right? Liesel's need to learn how the read is a continuous thread through the entire book and it's beautiful. Not only does it lend action to the story through her thievery, it also helps to build a foundation with her adoptive parents.
- It is because of books that all the action takes place in this magically wonderful series. Meggie and her father are voracious readers and nerds to the core. I love the fact that when Meggie packs, it's mainly books that make their way into her luggage!
- Highlighting her differences with her family, Matilda is a bookworm to the core. Her visits to the library require a freakin' Radio Flyer Wagon! That's hardcore.
- Skeeter completely goes against the grain and southern tradition in this piece. Unlike the other girls her age who have married, had children, and become homemakers, Skeeter has gone to college, earned a degree, begun working at a newspaper, and secretly writes a book. What a role model.
- Books are AJ's passion. He owns a bookstore. He sells books. He extolls the virtues of being a life-long reader. Even when his books let him down, he still maintains a deep love for them.
- Helen is a serious researcher and books, myths, and legends are her meal-ticket. Her detective and research skills are unparalleled and how she formulates her theories is brilliant.
- Ah, Francie! Probably one of the most beloved character on the list. She's a quiet force and balances this work brilliantly. You sink into her world and it welcomes you with warm arms.
- Oscar is definitely one of the most tragic book nerds on the list, but he's also fantastic. He's sensitive, learned, and passionate about his wants. Though his desires are considered lofty by the other characters, he never ceases or waivers in his goals.
Also, look for next week's top ten: Fairytale Retellings I've Read or Want to Read