N is for...Name and The Night the Lights Went Out




Happy day after taxes, people!  We are plowing into the second half of the A-Z Blogging Challenge and I am no longer completely caught up on posts (and scheduled ahead).  Thank you work for taking time away from my blogging!  Regardless, I'm plugging along.  Today is all about the letter N.


N is for "Name" and "The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia"


"Name" - Goo Goo Dolls
 

This was the first hit for the Goo Goo Dolls, though they had two previous released from their debut album, A Boy Named Goo.  I loved this song when it came out.  Still do, actually.  It's a great little track that works in all the right ways.  It's also the song that propelled the previously considered alternative band into the mainstream pop atmosphere.

*Fun Fact:  The Goo Goo Dolls are the only musicians to have three songs on Billboard's "Top 100 Pop Songs 1992-2012" chart.  These songs are also all in the top 25.  In addition, they are the only musicians to have back to back singles featured on the list ("Iris" in 1998 and "Slide" in 1999).

"The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia" - Reba McEntire
 

This is, hands down, my favorite Reba McEntire song.  It's country and rock and a scandal all rolled into one!  Though not the original singer of the song (that would be Vicki Lawrence), McEntire made the song relevant again and it was a huge success.

*Lyrics:  "That's the night that the lights went out in Georgia / That's the night that they hung an innocent man / Well don't trust your soul to no back woods Southern lawyer / Cause the judge in the town's got bloodstains on his hands"

What are some of your favorite N songs?

Blog on, fellow A-Zers!

Comments

  1. I'm a fan of the Vicki Lawrence version myself, but I do love Reba. My favorite of her songs is Fancy. Great picks, yet again! I like that you're jumping around genres. Elle @ Erratic Project Junkie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Fancy" is a great song too! I love Reba's older stuff. Also, I have a very eclectic taste in music. Look for some German pop tunes later in the challenge ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Get Wordy!

Popular posts from this blog

2016 A-Z Blogging Challenge Theme Reveal

L is for...Lighthouses

C is for...Crater Lake