H is for...Ernest Hemingway



We're midway through the work week and we've landed on the letter H.  Today is about:  Ernest Hemingway.  I'll be honest, I'm not a fan of Hemingway's novels.  I do, however, love his short stories.  For that reason alone, he's taking the place of my favorite author under the H category.






Ernest Hemingway (1899-1961)
I really encountered Hemingway's work when I took an entire course dedicated to him during my undergrad studies.  I'll admit that American author's are not my favorite, and Hemingway didn't necessarily help change my mind as a whole.  I didn't care for his writing style, the short, choppy sentence structure was too staccato for my liking, and the novels were boring and drawn out.  However, when we got around to reading The Old Man and the Sea and other various short stories he had written, my attitude toward Hemingway changed for the better.  There were better points made in the short stories that seemed to take too long to get around to in the novels and there was a higher level of gratification when reading his shorter works than I ever got from his longer pieces.  I will, however, give Hemingway props for pioneering the choppy style that he utilizes throughout his writing.

*Recommendation:  The Snows of Kilimanjaro

How do you feel about Hemingway?  Who are some of your favorite H writers? 

Comments

  1. This is great to know, I gave up on Hemingway for a similar reason but never bothered to check out his short stories :) Thanks!
    -visiting from the A-Z challenge-
    unwaveringme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Lena! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  2. Not a huge fan of Hemingway's work, but made did he live an interesting life. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he did! Thanks for stopping by, David.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Get Wordy!

Popular posts from this blog

L is for...Lighthouses

2016 A-Z Blogging Challenge Theme Reveal

C is for...Crater Lake