P.S. I Love You: A Review

Cecelia Ahern's PS, I Love You

Logistics
Title:  P.S. I Love You
Author:  Cecilia Ahern
Published:  January 5, 2005
Publishing Company:  Hyperion
Page Count:  470

Summary via Goodreads
Holly couldn't live without her husband Gerry, until the day she had to. They were the kind of young couple who could finish each other's sentences. When Gerry succumbs to a terminal illness and dies, 30-year-old Holly is set adrift, unable to pick up the pieces. But with the help of a series of letters her husband left her before he died and a little nudging from an eccentric assortment of family and friends, she learns to laugh, overcome her fears, and discover a world she never knew existed.

My Thoughts
I love just about everything Cecelia Ahern has written, aside from one book (more on that in an upcoming post), but I put off reading PS for ages for one simple reason...Hilary Swank.  Yes, the book came out prior to the film, but her casting in the film version rubbed me the wrong way (I'm not a HS fan at all).  Also, they made the main character American!  NO!  Becuase of this, I not only refused to watch the film, but I refused to read the book for the longest time.  About two years ago I came across a copy in a used bookstore for two dollars.  It didn't have the Hollywood cover (I abhor movie covers), so I caved and bought it.  God damn if it wasn't a great book.  It makes you laugh, cry, and rage on multiple occassions.  Ahern's descriptions are relatable and beautifully written.  It's a wonderful story of grief, acceptance, and personal growth that deserves the accolades it's received.

Rating
Four stars on Goodreads.  Probably 4 1/2 if I'm being honest.

What are some of your favorite novels about overcoming grief?

Happy reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

L is for...Lighthouses

2016 A-Z Blogging Challenge Theme Reveal

C is for...Crater Lake