S.L.C: Library Survey

Summer Library Challenge:  Library Survey

Hosted by Kate and Kristen @ The Book  Monsters, the Summer Library Challenge is a two month reading/blogging challenge dedicated to your local library and books.  How awesome is that?!?  This week's challenge, or activity, is to share your library with fellow participants and bloggers.  Here ya go :)

The Independence Public Library
1.  What's the name of your library and how close is it to where you live?
  • The little library I frequent the most is the Independence Public Library.  It is located about two miles from my house in the historic downtown area of Independence, Oregon (all two blocks of it).  I also visit the library at the university where I work a lot. 
2.  How frequently do you go to the library?
  • Between the two libraries, probably once a week (and I always get multiple books).
3.  What is the first section you normally go to when you get to the library?
  • Again, this depends on which library I am visiting.  If it's the public library, I tend to head over to the New Arrivals section and then on to General Fiction.  At the university, I always hit up the Recreational Reading section...and if there's time, I'll pop up to the  Young Adult, Classic Literature, and German Literature sections.  Honestly, I'd go up and down every single aisle just to explore the stacks if I had the time.
Hamersly Library at Western Oregon University
4.  Share a link to your library's webpage.  How often do you use it and what for?
  • Here's the link to the local downtown library.  I visit the site often to request books and to check out their upcoming events.  I also place a lot of reminders for myself about books I want to check out in the future.  This is in conjunction with my GoodReads To-Read list as well, so it's extensive. 
5.  What programs have you attended or thought of attending at your library?
  • The main program I religiously attend is the Friends of the Library Booksale.  It occurs twice a year and is a great way for the library to clear out older, less frequently checked out stock and raise money to fund their various programs.  It's an even better way for me to continue my book hording habits.  Most of the programs the library puts on are for younger kids, and occur during work hours (especially during the summer), so I am not able to attend many.  I have seriously considered joining the Friends of the Library Board to help with fundraising and event planning, but haven't had the time as of yet.
6.  Do you have family that utilizes the library with you?  Who is your "library buddy"?
  • I don't live in the same town as my family, so it is kind of difficult to visit the library with them.  Also, when I was growing up we lived outside the city limits and I wasn't able to get a library card (TRAGIC!); I had to satisfy myself with the school library instead.  Now, I tend to visit the university library with a fellow booklover and coworker, Lori over at Palmer's Page Turners, but the public library is a haven of "me" time.
7.  What is the best thing about your library?
  • The very best thing about my library is the fact that it is part of a regional network.  Because the library is so small, they have joined up with the library in the state capital and a few other regional libraries in the surrounding area, which allows for book sharing opportunities between multiple counties.  If my local library doesn't have a book, they will request it from one of the other libraries.  While this is not a guarantee that they will have the book I'm looking for, it does open the options for what's available.  It's also quite nice that their operating hours work well with my work schedule.  In addition, they've recently added the option to check out ebooks.  I have yet to utilize this, but I'm sure my Kindle would love it!
What are some of your libraries like?  Happy Summertime Reading!



Comments

  1. I looked on their website and the Passport program seems pretty cool. My library system does something similar. Most of the libraries on their own are too small to ever be supported so they all joined up and they are a pretty cool library system with every library involved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen postings for the Passport program, but haven't fully checked it out yet. Maybe I'll have to do so. It seems like a great opportunity to get books that aren't currently circulating in our regional system that includes 18 libraries.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Get Wordy!

Popular posts from this blog

L is for...Lighthouses

2016 A-Z Blogging Challenge Theme Reveal

C is for...Crater Lake