Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish and it's a way to share what you're loving in list form. The topic changes every week, so there is always something new to discover!
Here are a few things I like:
- I gravitate toward darker covers that have pops of color (black, white, and red are really dynamic).
- I think steampunk covers are pretty awesome. They're gritty and have Victorian aspects that immediately draw my eye.
- Clean, simple covers also do the trick.
- Font is also important...if it looks too childish (hello, Comic Sans), I'm probably not going to grab that book. I like clean fonts.
- If there are characters on the cover and one of them is wearing an old-time dress (Medieval, Victorian, Regent, Southern, etc), I'll definitely check it out.
- Angels. Whether fallen, ethereal, etc...I just don't tend to like them.
- Fire or flames. Boring!
- Incredibly busy covers. If I have to search too hard to figure out what the title is, who the author is, or what the cover is alluding too...no thank you.
- Speech bubbles...they look childish unless they are on a graphic novel/comic book. I'm not drawn to them at all. In fact, they might repel me away from a book. Sad, but true.
- Abbreviations...or ampersands. This is the English instructor in me. I don't tend to shorten words, even in text messages. I'll spell out "and". I don't want to see it on a book cover.
Also, look for next week's Top Ten: Favorite Classic Books