Top Ten Tuesday: Books I've Read So Far This Year

Hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, the Top Ten meme is quite popular around the book blogging world.  Every Tuesday a new theme is introduced for the meme.  It's a great way to see what other people are reading/have read and to expand your ever-growing TBR pile!

This week's Top Ten theme is: Books I've Read So Far This Year.  Without further ado, and in no particular order, here's my list:

Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn
  • This is the only book I've read by Flynn and it was fantastically disturbing, well-written, engaging, and suspenseful.  A really great, quick read.
Cress by Marissa Meyer
  • I absolutely love The Lunar Chronicles series by Meyer and was stoked when the third installment was released.  It's such a great concept and completely worth the wait.  The final book comes out next year...ugh...
The House of Special Purpose by John Boyne
  • The first book I've ever read by Boyne and it's phenomenal.  Easily the best book I've read this year.  If you are at all interested in the Romanovs and Russian history, I would highly recommend checking this book out.
The Girl Who Fell From The Sky by Heidi W Durrow
  • Always on the lookout for books set in Oregon or written by Oregon authors, this book fit the bill.  I picked it up on clearance at the university bookstore where I work and did not regret it.  It's a quick, heartbreaking read.
A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin
  • The second book in A Song of Fire and Ice series, this book is great.  It took me a bit to get through because of the 1000 page length, but it is completely worth it.
A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin
  • Probably my favorite book in the series thus far, this one includes so much.  It rips at your heart, makes you angry, makes you joyous, and leaves you wanting more!
A Feast for Crows by George R.R. Martin
  • The forth book in the series, this has been the most trying one to get through.  Introducing new characters to the audience, Martin's approach to books four and five (which is sitting unread on my bookshelf) was to split the characters in half.  It improved the further I got into it and was great by the time I finished.
The Silent Wife by A.S.A. Harrison
  • A psychological thriller where you know the general outcome upfront, Harrison's book is thought-provoking and forces the reader to examine their own relationships.  It's an interesting, quick read.
City of Thieves  by David Benioff
  • Set in WWII Russia, Benioff's bestseller follows the journey of two strangers forced to work together to find a dozen eggs for the wedding cake of a powerful Soviet commander's daughter.  The relationship that develops between the two men is beautiful to observe and, despite the setting, there are relative moments of hilarity.
Love Stories in This Town by Amanda Lyre Ward
  • A collection of short stories, I picked this book up at The Dollar Tree of all places.  The stories explore the notion of belonging and how we approach milestones in our lives.  It's funny, poignant, and worth the read.
And there you have it...the top ten books I've read so far this year.  What are some of your favorite books you've read this year? 

Also, keep a look-out for next week's Top Ten Tuesday...the topic will be Top Ten Books On My Summer TBR List. 

Happy reading!

Comments

  1. I really liked Silent Wife--I always enjoy books narrated through multiple viewpoints and I thought the author did a great job with that technique.
    I loved Gone Girl but couldn't get through Sharp Objects--it was just a little too dark for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have yet to read Gone Girl (it's on my ever increasing TBR pile), so I have nothing to compare Sharp Objects to as of yet. If you like books with multiple viewpoints, you should check out Chris Bohjalian's stuff! So good!! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  2. I loved CRESS, too. Great book, great series. After reading GONE GIRL, I've been meaning to read another Gillian Flynn novel. I might just have to pick one up soon.

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an awesome series! I can't wait for Winter to come out...2015, eek! I'd definitely recommend Sharp Objects :) Thanks for stopping by, Susan!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Get Wordy!

Popular posts from this blog

L is for...Lighthouses

2016 A-Z Blogging Challenge Theme Reveal

C is for...Crater Lake